- Job number
- Date posted
Apr 15, 2019
- Role type
- Employment type
Team/Department & Purpose
As the scope of our Volume Licensing business expands, there is an increasing reliance on the Business Desk to approve, facilitate and test innovative business & commercial models for our three clouds, in addition to maintaining its core strength of securing profitable Volume License revenue.
WW Business Desk encompasses approximately 200 employees worldwide. The success and reputation of the Business Desk is well established across all parts of Microsoft for driving billions of dollars of “good business”.
Licensing Executives (LEs) are responsible for creating commercial licensing solutions for our Government Enterprise and Strategic accounts.
WW Business Desk is part of Microsoft’s Worldwide Commercial Finance (WCF) organization, reporting to Microsoft’s CFO, Amy Hood.
The EMEA Lead Licensing Executive role reports to the EMEA Business Desk Director, Alessandra Brambilla.
The Lead Licensing Executive role is a leadership position and you will be a key member of the Leadership Team of the EMEA Business Desk, alongside the EMEA Business Desk Director and 5 EMEA Business Desk Regional Managers. On a daily basis, you will be expected to demonstrate 3 leadership attributes to support Microsoft’s transformation. These attributes are:
Create Clarity. You will drive clarity of vision for ourselves, our teams, the organization, and customers and partners. Regularly communicate with stakeholders (internal/external), continuously check for understanding, and taking the extra steps to create alignment, making intentions clear and transparent to those around you and provide a sense of direction for your team.
Generate Energy. You will be a source of positive, motivating energy. Draw out ideas, encouraging bold (& thoughtful) moves, and supporting throughout. You take seriously the responsibility of enabling a productive and inclusive work environment for everyone, building resiliency in teams by demonstrating a willingness to take risks & learn from mistakes.
Deliver Success. You believe in what’s possible and focus on results, seeking breakthrough ideas to deliver more value. You believe there is a solution or path forward to every problem or opportunity you face and drive your team to push through real and perceived barriers to find the right solutions. You are curious, open to new ideas and tenacious in the pursuit of the best outcomes for customers, partners & Microsoft.
Most work involves constantly changing virtual teams and collaborating across Microsoft’s field sales, licensing, specialist, legal, finance, processing, and product teams.
- Co-ordinating transformational deals with the nominated LEs to ensure excellent execution, exploiting the Microsoft HQ teams of Digital Win Room (DWR) and Data Center Exchange (DCX) and future emerging key stakeholder groups.
- Interface with the Microsoft headquarters (Seattle) based Digital Win Room (DWR), Business Development for Data Center Exchange (DCX) opportunites, Product Groups, Legal and Operations to highlight licensing trends and challenges and ensure that the solutions developed meet the short and long term needs of both the customer and Microsoft while minimizing internal costs and any associated liabilities.
- Programme Co-ordination. Co-ordinating with the EMEA BD LT team, the EMEA BD priority projects to assist in the development of Business Desk across D3 (UK, Germany, France), Western Europe and CEE / MEA. FY19 Priorities include:
- Accelerate digital transformation through 3 cloud revenue and 3 cloud partnerships
- Drive profitable revenue through increased revenue, discount discipline and customer adds.
- Protect the business through governance of Business Desk activities
- Ensure effort is aligned to revenue and increase technical / solution knowledge and develop talents
- Project management. Management of projects related to BD core priorities, including shaping the projects, creating and motivating virtual teams, and reporting on progress. Excel and Power BI analysis will be required, as well as the ability to rapdly synthesize key themes and data in to presentations.
- Customer satsifcation and licensing simplification. Work directly and indirectly with the largest Customers in the region to assist in determining and approving optimal licensing solutions that meets the customers needs while also simplifilying the licensing experience and maximizing the revenue opportunity to Microsoft. Demonstrate best practice and share feedback. Communicate customer requirements and licensing information to all levels of Microsoft.
- Business Desk Readiness representative. Active membership of the WW Business Desk Readiness (BDR) team as the EMEA regional representative, including attending summits in US and reviewing / developing sessions for WW BD Summits.
- Deal and Subsidiary engagement. Activley own selected opportunities and pro-actively work with Senior stakeholders in D3 and Western Europe subsidiaries to assist in closing sales, driving consumption of Online Services, develop commercial offerings and analyse customer licensing requirements. Take a leadership role in working directly with Area management teams to help determine how to drive the business forward while ensuring that Customer Satisfaction remains a top priority.
- Strategic commercial direction. Contribute to the overall strategic direction WorldWide Commercial Solutions (WCS) by ensuring effective implementation and landing of strategy and offerings, testing pilots and providing feedback on new licensing strategies for regional & worldwide use.
- Support research and development efforts with the Licensing team on a case by case basis. Develop pilots and test potential solutions to financially significant problems involving members from Field Sales, Business Development, Operations, Legal, Product Groups, etc.
- Standing in for EMEA BD Director. To represent EMEA BD for selected projects and when holiday cover is required.
- Travel – International travel is required for 30% of the year.
- Sales experience with commercial, public sector or global accounts, with a demonstrable, sustained track record of high performance with large customers and senior Microsoft executives (results oriented).
- Negotiation experience of supporting multi million Euro deals at CxO level with sound understanding of the Online Services / Cloud business models.
- Good market knowledge of local marketplace, competition, and specific challenges of major industry sectors driving negotiation behavior.
- Communicationskills. Effective communication skills and ability to synthisize the complex, esure shared understanding and define a course of action.
- Strategic Leadership. Ability to set strategic vision and provide leadership to both the Area leadership and the Business Desk Leadership in EMEA.
- Customer Focus. Experience negotiating with large commercial and public sector customers, understanding their needs and developing simple yet creative solutions to commercial blockers.
- Governance and Compliance: Fully aware of Microsoft Policies and Governance processes, as relates to sales, deal making and licensing & pricing. Clean track record of adherence to Microsoft compliancy measures and policies is a mandate (internal candidates).
- Cross Group Collaboration. Successfully work in a highly collaborative manner across a variety of business functions and geographies in EMEA & the United States.
- Impact and Influence. Experience in collaboratively debating ‘hot topics’, listening to and building on others ideas, landing your perspectives and maintaining a strong relationship throughout.
- Virtual team management skills with experience in leading a diverse team of individuals. People management experience and managing projects with remote teams will be treated as an additional attribute. .
- Hiring & Staffingwith a focus on diversity. Experience in identifying and hiring a diverse team, attracting, developing and retaining talent.
- An ability & appetite to learn and keep up to date your knoweldge/understanding of Microsoft Products, Volume License offerings & Online Services to position Microsoft’s offerings vs competition.
- Speak fluent English. The language for communication in all areas will be in English
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.