Infrastructure & Cloud Engineer (m/f)
Location: BerlinSpringer Nature is one of the world's leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
In this position, you will be driving changes to culture, technology and championing the adoption of modern infrastructure software engineering practices that will challenge your skill and tap into your experiences. This includes demonstrating a path away from traditional infrastructure delivery model and towards an agile delivery model, through test driven development, configuration management and cloud adoption. The scope and purpose will include global, internal & external cloud offered services for all regions. It also includes active participation in the direction and implementation of cloud platform services to deliver long-term strategies for business areas.
As Infrastructure & Cloud Engineer you will be responsible for working across multiple facets of the Springer Nature cloud platform. This role will span design, test and build of services for our customers.
- Be involved in the build and extend of our cloud services that span IAAS across the global datacenters as well as public cloud providers
- Interface with business units, architects, project managers and subject matter experts to understand and evaluate/translate business requirements into technical solutions
- Be challenged and expected to act as a change agent in our DevOps culture, principles and practices, using the creation & maintenance of our repos and documentation
- Be a technical expert to help internal customers & teams to consume standard cloud services, and be a core member of the ICE team and key contributor and subject matter expert
- Participate and assist in setting the long-term direction, roadmaps and standards for technical solutions, ensuring they align to the overall enterprise architecture
- Proactively appraise and modify current architecture to identify issues, research alternatives and determine improvements
The patterns you'll work on to deliver will be tied back to business areas looking to use cloud capabilities to innovate, incubate, or graduate ideas into business value. This can include custom built solutions, "--- as a service" components.
You will be responsible for participating in team and effort activities as needed, including pair programming, sprint planning, demos, and providing feedback on overall platform improvements.
This includes working with the product owner, the team, and the internal community of engineers/developers. The demos will be focused on cloud technology updates to stakeholders and the team.
Training/Tools: You will be called on at times to assist our internal customers during their cloud adoption journey. This will be in part as a matrixed that will help identify, define and (in some cases) provide hands-on training for cloud service delivery as it pertains to software. You will also be expected to provide input for which toolset will best support our operating needs.
- Bachelor's Degree in IT or a Business Related field or equivalent work experience
- Experience with Cloud Native Development technologies, Infrastructure As Code, Cloud Provisioning, automation and orchestration with any of the following tools such as Puppet, Ansible, JSON, Terraform, Jenkins, etc.
- Experience with container/orchistration technologies: Docker, kubernetes, LXC/LXD, etc.
- Experience with cloud-based infrastructure as a service platforms: AWS, Google Compute Engine, Azure, or OpenStack
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills and an ability to communicate technical and business information effectively to both technical and non-technical people
- Working knowledge of Software Defined Datacenter and converged technologies
- Strong conceptual strength, strategic thinking, problem solving, technical, and analytical skills
- Able to work both independently and in a distributed (global) team
- Business fluency in English
So what do we offer?
- Interesting and challenging work
- A relaxed, positive environment
- A diverse and growing international team
- A healthy work/life balance
- Enthusiastic, supportive colleagues
- Further development to help you progress your career
- Flexible hours, a 37 hour week and 30 days annual leave
- Book discount of 15-40%
- 10% of your time to learn and experiment outside the day to day work
- Voluntary on-call duty for 24/7 operation support with extra compensation
- Windows, Linux, Mac: it's your choice
Working Hours: Full-time
Company and Location: Springer Science + Business Media Deutschland GmbH, Berlin
Your application: Excited by the prospect of joining us? We are looking forward to your online application in English!
To find out more information about our organization please take a look at www.springer.com and www.springernature.com.